Updating or properly inspecting electrical items around your home is one of the easier ways to prevent disaster. Most electrical fires are reportedly caused by old appliances and faulty outlets. Frayed cords and improper use of extension cords have the potential to shower anything nearby with sparks. Some people have old homes which can’t support modern electric needs, and one response is to install safety switches. Unfortunately this doesn’t work in every case, and you may need to take more steps to protect your home – and your life.
The Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) often warns Australian homeowners to be more vigilant. MFS says common causes of fires including home heating, electric blankets, and clothes dryers. The majority of fires occur in the kitchen. The MFS recommends vigilance as the number one key to stopping home fires, along with fire blankets and portable fire extinguishers. They also advise that homeowners have recent photoelectric smoke alarms, and escape plans in the event of a large fire.
In the United States, there were close to 17,000 fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines in 2010. Laundry appliances resulted in over 400 deaths and injuries that year. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) tells us that Australians have fewer deaths from such fires, but these occurrences are just as preventable and just as deadly. Smoke alarms are an excellent addition to any home, but oftentimes they aren’t enough. Smoke alarms are warnings – not a way to fix any deep seated issues that might rest with your appliances.
If you have any doubt as to the safety of your home, you may want to hire a licensed electrician to inspect your home for risks. A professional electrical contracting company can be the first step toward securing your home against potential dangers.